Grade Configuration: 9-12
Student Population: 685
George McDougall High School is a proud member of Rocky View Schools. The school is situated in the northeast quadrant Airdrie’s west side, and has a 50 year history within the community. It opened in 1962 as a grade 10-12 high school, became a grade 7-9 junior high school in 1983, and evolved back into a high school (grades 9-12) over a three year period in the early 1990’s.We share a “tri-school” site with Ecole Edwards Elementary School, and Ecole Airdrie Middle School. All three schools on the tri-site are the designated French Immersion schools of Airdrie and district.
To foster a school culture celebrating the principles of lifelong learning, cultural diversity, and success through collaboration.
To help each child to realize their full potential to become responsible, involved, effective and productive citizens.
Unique Features of Our School
- French Immersion program – dual track;
- Global Encounters Program - students learn for a semester in a single cohort which then goes to Australia for 6 weeks.
- Fine Arts Certificate – with opportunities to specialize skills in art, drama, performing arts, instrumental music (concert bands and jazz bands), and vocal music (choirs, Georgie Girls and Odd Fellows);
- Three second language programs – French, German, and Japanese;
- Student Citizenship Opportunities – Students 4 Change, Peer Support, Leadership, and Student Government. We are presently considered an ASPnet (Associated Schools Project Network) National school as recognized by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization;
- Art 35 Advanced Placement Courses
- Community Resource Officer (CRO), a member of the RCMP who serves our students
- Mandatory mediation process for conflict resolution
- Extracurricular programs that provide consistent opportunities for all students
- Vertically Integrated Advanced Placement
- Dedicated Knowledge and Employability Staff
- weConnect Distributed Learning Centre
What Makes Our School Great?
GMHS is home to about 685 students in grades 9-12, being served by 30 teaching staff and 10 support staff. Most of the students will have come from our two feeder schools, Muriel Clayton Middle School, and Ecole Airdrie Middle School; however, we are noticing that more of our students are coming from families new to the city and from the separate and private schools in the area.
One of the strengths of our school is rooted in the climate that exists among staff and students. Our vision is to “foster a school culture celebrating the principles of lifelong learning, cultural diversity, and success through collaboration.” We believe in “helping each child to realize their full potential to become responsible, involved, effective and productive citizens.” Our staff members work hard to promote commitment, caring, and responsibility on the part of our students.
The extra-curricular/co-curricular programs have long been important features of George McDougall High School for both students and staff, and contribute in a large way to our success. Our school enjoys a positive, well-earned reputation in Fine Arts and Athletics. Our Leadership class has been a very active group, and their ongoing efforts have led to an increase in student activities within and outside of the school. The Students 4 Change group continues to make contributions locally and internationally. As well, the Peer Support Team provides a much-needed support system for many of our students.
Visiting foreign students have also been an important component of our school program. Unfortunately, with our student population exceeding capacity, we now focus more on student “exchanges”.
Over the years, a variety of initiatives have been introduced at GMHS. Early Bird classes that provide increased access to programs (particularly for the more academic students); a Sports Performance program, and Arts 35 Advanced Placement.